The Mysteries of Machu Picchu
Since its discovery in the early 20th century, Machu Picchu has taken off as a world destination, being named year after year as a best travel destination and one of...
Usually all people who visit Machu Picchu plan their trip to the famous Citadel in the early morning. For this they organize their train departure from the station of Poroy or Ollantaytambo in the first available hours (around 6am) or organize their lodging in Machu Picchu Pueblo the night before to be the next day closer to the Sanctuary.
And although this plan is great, today we want to tell you that there is another possibility of visiting Machu Picchu that very few consider and that brings many advantages. So if you are going to visit Cusco anytime soon and want to see with your own eyes the greatest Inca legacy, take note of the benefits of going at noon:
1. Less people at the Citadel: as we mentioned, what is customary when making this trip to Machu Picchu is for attendees to present themselves in the Citadel at early hours of the morning, either to see the sunrise from this sacred place or to do the trekking routes of Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, which agglomerates more people than in the afternoon shift, because at that time all the trekking routes are disabled.
If you go at 12 o’clock you will find a less crowded space, and you will not have to make a large line to visit every corner of the Citadel.
2. Take incredible photos of Machu Picchu: less people = better pictures. Definitely one of the greatest advantages of going in the afternoon to Machu Picchu is to be able to take the photos you want without being photobombed. You will certainly appreciate being able to take your time to take your dream photos.
3. Higher availability and lower prices on train tickets: the only way to get to Aguas Calientes or Machu Picchu Pueblo is by train. At Inca Rail we offer many options of schedules and services throughout the day to accommodate to your schedule. And one of the best rates is the one available at noon, because fewer people use it to travel. So if your plan is to save some money this option will be very favorable for you.
4. Visit the Sacred Valley in the morning: if you decide to visit Machu Picchu in the evening, you can take make a few stops in the Sacred Valley before your train ride, such as Maras and Moray, or even go to the ruins of Ollantaytambo, the city where the main train station of Inca Rail is located.
5. Enjoy a memorable sunset: after a spectacular afternoon absorbing all the energies and geniuses of the Incas, what better way to say goodbye to the Citadel of Machu Picchu than watching the sunset? Take this moment to connect with yourself and thank the opportunity to have visited this magical place.
So now you know, if you want to get out of the box and skip the usual plan to visit Machu Picchu in the early hours, we recommend going at noon and take advantage of all the benefits that we mentioned. Are you up to it?