web inca rail
Adventure

7 tourist attractions of Cusco that you can not miss

7 tourist attractions of Cusco that you can not miss

Cusco is one of those destinations where, for many times you visit, you will always have something new to learn. In the imperial city and its surroundings there are still places practically unknown for most people. Places with great charm but with very few tourists.

Are you of those who like to travel to less crowded places? If you already have taken the train to Machu Picchu and want to know other sites, keep reading and you’ll find some places in Cusco that are just like that.

Raqqchi

raqchi_inca_rail
In addition to Machu Picchu, the Incas created many other constructions throughout the empire. One of them is Raqqchi, an archaeological site located in the province of Canchis, south of Cusco. This site is divided into five sectors, among which the Wiracocha Temple stands out.

This temple, of which currently only the walls remain, has walls of 14 meters high and it is believed that it had the largest roof built by the Incas.

In addition, a few kilometers from the archaeological center is San Pedro de Cacha colonial temple, a church built with stone and adobe and where you can see various paintings of the Cusco school.

Pongo de Mainique

pongo_de_mainique_inca_rail
If you like to enjoy nature, you have to know Pongo de Mainique. It is a canyon located north of Cusco and through which flows the Urubamba River. This place has 3.6 kilometers and it is the gateway to the National Sanctuary of Megantoni.

The most attractive of the Pongo de Mainique are the spectacular waterfalls that you will find on both sides of the canyon. In addition, different species of animals live here, among which the spectacled bear stands out.

Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain Range

cordillera_arcoiris_palccoyo_inca_rail

In recent years, a new tourist attraction has taken great international fame in Cusco: the Rainbow Mountain or Mountain of Seven Colors. But many people do not know that there is another summit just as impressive but much less visited.

It is the Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain Range, which is located 128 km southeast of Cusco and has more than 9,000 hectares. This mountain is very similar to the famous Vinicunca but has better accessibility. Also, on the way you can enjoy an incredible stone forest.

Choquequirao

choquequirao_inca_rail
Known as the last Inca stronghold, Choquequirao is one of those remote places on the planet that few people have the courage to reach. Perhaps it is better known than the rest of the destinations we are talking about but its location makes few people dare to visit it, because you can only get to Choquequirao on a two-day trekking from San Pedro de Cachora.

This Inca citadel receives only 20 tourists a day and it is so little explored that only 40% of it is already known, while the remaining 60% is still hidden under the vegetation.

If you want to know more about this route, click here.

Three Cross Viewpoint

tres_cruces_inca_rail
The Three Cross Viewpoint is the perfect place for sunrises lovers. This place, located 109 km southeast of Cusco and at 2900 meters above sea level, has a great variety of flora and fauna, as well as one of the most beautiful sunrises of the entire region.

On the other hand, Paucartambo, where this viewpoint is located, is the starting point to the Manu National Park, one of the natural parks of the jungle closest to Cusco and one of the reserves with the greatest biodiversity in the world.

So, if you are thinking about taking advantage of your visit to Cusco to get to the jungle, we recommend you to make a stop at this viewpoint.

If you want to know more about how to get to the jungle from Cusco, here we tell you all the details.

Piuray Lagoon

laguna_piuray_inca_rail
If you are looking for an outdoor space for sports, you have to visit the Piuray Lagoon. Just 30 kilometers north of Cusco is this place where tourists come to enjoy nature and do sports such as paddle boarding or yoga.

In addition, there are agencies that take you to the Piuray lagoon in ATV, so the adventure is complete!

Valley of Lares

valle_lares_inca_rail
In Cusco there are dozens of places to take walks surrounded by dreamy landscapes. One of them is the Valley of Lares, where you will meet diverse glacial lakes, you will run into animals such as llamas or alpacas and you will meet interesting people who live in small towns in the middle of the mountain.

You know, if you come to Cusco with the purpose of knowing more about the nature, culture and history of our country, you have a lot of places to explore. Choose the one that you like the most and enjoy the trip!

COMPARTE EN :

Language: